Thursday, July 31, 2008

Out in the Streets of Mumbai India

The coolest thing around here is the Internet never goes down! It works like a charm day or night. It’s 4:27 a.m. I got woken up and I can’t go back to sleep. Debra is making up for lost sleep she sleeps almost all the time. I was a tad bit worried but she is getting up for the occasional breathing treatment and bathroom breaks. I check on her she is fine she’ll talk a little then she goes right back to sleep. I had an interesting day as I ventured out into the streets of Mumbai, India. I took my camera which will do short video and I snapped some photo’s of the grounds around the hospital and did some video of the street traffic. I didn’t know what people here would think of my picture taking but it got to be quite funny as they would stop and ask me to take their picture. If you want to make friends in India just walk around with a camera. With this blond hair and blue jeans they openly stare at me without reservation. If I smile at them they are just charmed and if I speak to them that is even better. “How ya’ll doing” will make them break out into the biggest smile I have ever seen in my life. I talk just like I would and they look at each other and just grin. I don’t know what the deal is with asking for “butter” but it makes them laugh. I have not been able to get any butter either. One of the guys who stopped me for a photo was a city worker. He said brokenly….. to go to America if only in a photograph would make him very happy. Please take picture. I got a lump in my throat and tears welled in my eyes as I thought of what he was saying to me. I hugged him and he darted away with a smile. I had to just stand there a minute and collect myself and almost got ran over by a rickshaw driver. There are these dogs that hang out around the doors to the hospital they are so polite if you feed them they will line up and take turns to get a bite of anything you have. I took down a piece of chicken and I think I am now the new dog queen of India. Another thing that broke my heart is while feeding the dogs I realized I was being watched by a little girl so I offered her some chicken to feed the dogs as well to my surprise she took it and ran eating it herself as she very quickly bolted away from me. When I came back to the room my senses were on fire. I wanted to show Debra the pictures but she had just had another round of medications and could even look at them so I sat in this room and thought about where I was and what I was doing with the world out side being so different from anything I could imagine. It kind of makes you feel dizzy.

I met the lady in the room across the hall she is from Phoenix Arizona and she is alone. Having a hip replacement. The resurfacing was to late for her the bone was already to badly damaged. She like the rest of us found this place on the Internet and she felt that God had lead her here as well. Her husband is very ill and has so many problems he couldn’t make it even if he had wanted to come so she came alone. Her name is Bobbi. Her surgery is Saturday and she’ll only be here eleven days total. I can’t believe people do such things but the common word is no insurance and desperations accompanied with pain. I have to wonder how many people have this same story to tell. I have had several people notice my cross and they asked to see it. Then bow their heads as if out of total respect. You can tell it has an affect on people even people who might not know what it’s all about they know it’s to be respected and honored.

In the morning I am going to take my picture of the girl I am sponsoring in India down to the International Department and giving them Joe Brymers card. I just want them to know that there is a mission that helps children here that is Christian based and if any services could be used by the mission from the hospital I want the powers that be to be aware of the mission and it’s work in India. I also just want to show them my picture of the girl that I am sponsoring. I had even thought I might try to go there but it is to far from Mumbai for me to attempt it. I really will have to stay focused on Debra right now and after the surgery. It would have been an interesting trip I am sure but I am not up for it right now. That’s why I am awake at this hour in the morning writing a blog that I will read a hundred times over the years to come. It will be an amazing part of my life that I will have recorded here. Thanks for the blogger.com information. Another good thing is my typing speed is really fast and I can also type in the dark with no problems. So I can type as fast as I can think. (No comments on that please)

Better close for now just one last thing I want to thank all of you for the beautiful e-mails you are sending to me. You are the best family I could have ever had to support me through all of this. I could not have done it without all your support and love. It makes trusting in God so easy when you see others that have been there and done that and came out with good results because they could give it to God’s will and not their own. It’s hard to do that but the results are totally beautiful if you can.

Good Night all or is that Good Morning I think the sun is coming up or is it going down? These hours are killer………..Anyway keep those prayers coming I need them every hour. I love you guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning ladies, Hope today finds you both rested. God's blessings on a productive day. I am at the airport waiting on a connection and wanted to say hi. Blessings to you,
kim