Friday, August 1, 2008

Another Blessed Day full of adventures

I am having the time of my life. I have made all the mistakes. I make direct eye contact, shake men’s hands, talk to them and say fun things like how ya’ll doing today? I must admit they do think me quite odd. They really love the fact that I do talk to them openly. It’s been a real experience and I have felt safe enough to venture about 10 blocks from the hospital grounds. Walking snapping photos and talking to people. I wouldn’t have missed the experience for the world but I do think I will stop asking for butter. I got to laughing so hard after reading Karen Goode’s e-mail, which states these facts below.

“Ghee (aka butter) is expensive and much in demand, because of its exalted status, at Hindu weddings. Male guests are expected to compete with each other to see who can eat the most of it: consuming a kilo or more at a sitting is considered a proof of virility. The occasion and the sexual connotations of ghee turn the contest into a kind of fertility ritual.”

I knew something had to be up with that butter business because it caused a great stir and huge amounts of laughter when I asked for butter to go with my mashed potatoes. Come on who knew it was such a big deal? They had it on Air France. Being so far from home is really different and unusual but if you don’t go outside this hospital room you would never know any of it was out there.

I can’t wait till I can get some of these photos posted in the blog. The men love you to take their pictures. The ladies are not so keen on it and don’t mind if you take it from the back but they don’t want you to take photo’s of their faces. To get some I will have to ask the nurses because on the streets it’s a no no. I have a picture of a lady feeding chickens with her son and she was flattered that I ask but she peeked around to make sure no body was watching her. When she felt sure it was okay she nodded and motioned for me to take the picture. She wanted to see it as well after it was taken then grabbed up her son and went inside. It was obvious she was very excited and telling another woman about it inside her little hut. The other woman came to the window looking out at me pointing and hugging her friend. They were over joyed by the attention of getting a picture taken by an American. They just kept waving, laughing and blowing kisses. It was a highlight of their day. It's a trip to see them so thrilled over a little attention.

Debra did a little better today we have a surgery date for Monday. She has had everything explained to her and we are ready to go. We are going to follow the doctor’s advice here and not do the total hysterectomy. They are going to do some pretty extensive clean up work and get her back on track. They have run a dozen or more test to verify what they are telling us and she doesn’t have some of the problems we were told she did. These choices are in her best interest and I feel really good about the whole thing. They are sending a copy on video back home with us so doctors in the United States will see exactly what was done to her and why so when she engages another doctor in the states she has clear proof of what was done to her and why. What more can you ask for? They don’t do things that are not needed. I really have a lot of respect for what these doctors have to say and the manner in which they relay it back to you is very professional. For them it truly is a matter of giving the best health care possible. It’s rustic not some fancy deal like you might get in the states but it’s done with total respect for the person having the surgery done. My heart and mind are at ease. I feel they have gone over and above to comfort and respect my concerns. They know that the languages and accents are a problem so they are careful to make sure you understand them. They call “test” investigations. The wording is different than what we are used to but they make sure you understand it.

Another highlight is I found another Christian here. A young man who smiles brightly everyday had a confession………he’s a Christian. He carries a bracelet in his pocket and was very proud to show it to me. There are pictures on it. It was a beautiful conversation and like others he noticed the cross that is hanging around my neck. He showed me some kind of card with his name on it but I couldn’t repeat it or spell it now. He comes everyday and this morning I had given him a Texas key chain with some charms on it a long horn steer, cowboy boots and a Texas flag. Maybe that’s the reason he felt comfortable talking to me about his faith. I can tell you this much God is alive and well even here. People want to know Jesus Christ and they are still seeking to know him even under very difficult situations.

I didn’t get to talk to the people here about Sandy Creek Children’s Home as of yet but they know I want to speak to someone so maybe next week the correct people will be here to talk with me. They have my name down stairs and said when someone is available they will send them to speak to me. At any rate I have Joe Brymer’s card ready to go into someone’s hand here at this hospital. They loved Rani’s picture and it generated a lot of interest. It was a bit of luck that I got it just days before we were due to leave to come here.

Just got some more good news because they changed the surgery for Debra and have made us delayed they are not charging anything for the extra 4 to 5 hospital days we will have to stay or for the meals and refunding me $610.00. That just blows my mind. Never ever would that happen in the Houston Medical District. Also, a driver will be provided for Debra’s eye surgery and they will pick us up at our hotel, stay with us threw the procedure and see that we are safely returned to our hotel. If she should need a second visit for any reason they will do the same thing again at no extra charge. That is totally unreal. While Debra is healing I will have my “companion” to show me around the city taking me were ever I want to go in a nice air conditioned car. Debra can also come for visits to the mall when she is about 7 days out of surgery for some touring all provided with our companion. I am really starting to like India!

Better close for today. Thanks to everyone sending post it’s great to hear from you guys and I love the e-mails as well…………Many Many Hugs to all of you.

No comments: