Saturday, August 9, 2008

India from the Dental Chair.......

I hate the dentist I don’t care what country I am in. A dentist is a dentist. They have shots they have drills they all say this wont hurt a bit open wide. I have so been there done that. I had this all planned out Debra would go first and if I didn’t like what I saw I would run. Well she did go first but then they switched us up and she got to go out of the room. They had me in the chair! Mask on spray bottle in hand ready to get started on ME! Wait a dang minute this is not how I planned this. Anyway it’s squirt squirt and more squirts of this numbing spray and then oh yes a needle a big big needle. Didn’t he say there would be no needles? Oh he meant for Debra there would be no needles. Then like every other dentist on the planet he said it “Open wide this wont hurt a bit” I think it’s part of their fee for you to hear those words. Well it did hurt a bit but the spray kicks in the popping noise of them breaking the old crowns loose keeps your mind right on task. I am soon asking hey can I have another one of those shots? It wasn’t so bad. They did the prep work made some impressions and sent me out to get started on Debra. Now I know that my daughter has a very high pain thresh hole but when she said “if I don’t need a shot don’t give me one.” I like to have died. I said honey you want the shot take the shot! She didn’t. They pulled off crowns, drilled, prepped for new crowns all with just the numbing spray. I was horrified! You could hear them breaking the old crowns and she was as calm as she could be. I stayed in the room I couldn’t believe my daughter was not getting a shot to deaden her mouth!! A few times he bumped another tooth and she would let him know to be careful but other than that her whole deal was done only with the numbing spray. I have video. How many U.S. doctors would let you stay in the room with your daughter and video while they were working? They thought it was funny. I was glad it was over because they had given me some pain pills and said Debra was fine she wouldn’t need anything! I ran to the RX to fill mine and she said she was indeed just fine. She said all the teeth they worked on were already “dead” teeth and it’s not that bad. For me to watch it was murder! Our driver picked us up and came for us and got us back to the hotel. No fussing with that. I am glad that is working out okay with them coming to the hotel. The cars are a lot more than the rickshaws but it is a long way to the hospital and back so the car is a better choice for women traveling. Also, the heavy rains make it very messy to even think of riding in a rickshaw there is not much to keep the splashing mud off of you.
Debra has done a rickshaw ride as of yesterday. She can get in and out if she moves slowly. She didn’t want to walk and we had to find food so she said she thought she could do it. We went to the mall and was going to eat out but decided that there was nothing we could eat. Had a very interesting time at the market and all the pushing and people was a little madding. People do tend to move away from us if we make eye contact with them. I guess it’s a way of saying your getting to close if you look at them. The guys at the restaurant here at the hotel are helpful in the morning for breakfast but as it was in Italy if you ask for a glass of milk they will bring it to you in a bowl not a glass. With our dental work I don’t think we will be eating in the morning, maybe some warmed milk with sugar is it. They didn’t put a temp crown on my live tooth so it could breath and seal its self. So pain killers will be my best friend and I will not eat anything solid until Monday after 4:15 P.M. It doesn’t even seem to matter to me. Debra found a powdered strawberry mix that we are putting with her protein drink mixes and it’s very satisfactory so we’ll both be enjoying shakes for breakfast lunch and dinner. Should trim off a couple of pounds easily.
Another thing at the hotel that I really enjoyed that was in our treat basket were these chocolate cookies. Kind of bland but good. Something that wasn’t hot so yummmmmy. They were called digestive biscuits. Well if that doesn’t just say it all! If you should find some in your room during your travels abroad trust me don’t eat them. Bad things can happen. Wait till 7:30 when this guy in a black and white stripped outfit comes to your door with a nice dessert. Some type of lovely cake with a hunk of thinly sliced chocolate on it. Now they are getting with the program. But wait you just had dental work you can’t eat cake! Tears……
Well enough about me. Debra is working in the book of Exodus and we are trying to have an in dept conversation on the topics of the laws of the old testament. I am going to have to stay on top of things to keep up with her active mind. She is into the Old Testament right now and I stay in the New Testament most of the time. She might give me a run for my money after a while. It’s good to see her opening that bible every day and taking in what the good Lord has to offer her. I feel very blessed that she has taken notice that prayer works and doing what you need to do can be of much benefit to your normal everyday life. She is doing her medications with much more care and concern. Even got on the Internet and looked up every thing she was given to make sure there was no doubling up or drug interactions that might be a problem for her. She is walking the floors in the room, doing her breathing exercises and going to bed at a normal time. That means she also wakes up at a normal time. No more sleeping all day or being just totally worn out. She seems to have a ton of energy.
Better close for now I think the India pain killers are a lot stronger than the ones you get in the states. I had better lay down. More later…….V

No comments: