Friday, August 15, 2008

WE ARE IN THE LAST DAYS








8:45 a.m. found us heading toward the dentist office in yet another taxi. This one arranged by the hotel. Our drive took a route we didn’t know but soon realized we had been that way before and it was fine. It was pouring rain this morning there was no way we could have hailed down a rickshaw. The car was worth the little bit extra we paid for it. The driver said if we needed to go again just contact him through the hotel. If the weather is bad it’s an excellent choice. We got our teeth whitened Indian style and believe me they have some dark teeth so I think they used the super duty stuff on Debra. She wanted the whitest possible and she got it. I just wanted my dental work to all match. She has the whitest teeth and a really pretty smile. It took a lot longer than I thought it would but then again here they are so careful to cover every detail. We were having fun they were letting me watch and we were snapping pictures of these funny guys. For all the rough stuff they put us through it’s been enjoyable because they do love cutting up with us. Every time we go they keep trying to sell Debra the dental chair and telling me just to leave a blank check at the desk they will ship it to her on her birthday because she loves it so much. Funny guys….there will be no blank check. We are lucky because he told us last year during the rainy season they worked in a foot of water doing dental work without delay. They just slosh through it and kept on going. I don’t think I would have like that very much.
It was still pouring when we got done but we found a rickshaw fast and headed to the mall. We had bought a few things there as I finally found something I thought Roland would like to have. I wanted something but it’s not easy to buy for Rollie Bear. It’s got to be special well I did find something special for my husband and I think he’ll really like my careful considerations in my selection. We can’t do any more shopping we have to be done with it. I really have everything I wanted to get. I am thinking the designer dress I got will be nice for a Christmas party.
(Kim) the restaurant that is right in front of the place we got our visas is Houston’s top Indian restaurant it is called “ Kiran’s” it’s right there at 4100 Westheimer. Just down from Central Market. Chef Kiran Verma brings her skills to this new restaurant with a unique flair all her own. She moves beyond her training in preparing authentic Mughlai dishes of Northern India to create contemporary and ethnic dishes that fuse American and French cuisine, resulting in an exciting menu that is both adventurous and delicious. The dining room features deep red paneling, fine linens and upholstered chairs, giving it an upscale feel, without being stuffy.
When to Go:
Kiran's is one of the few places in town to experience a traditional high tea the second Saturday of every month from 3pm-5pm)
We came back to the room after we scored Roland’s goodies. August 16 is Raksha Bhandan festival. It’s a festival that celebrates brothers and sisters. They make a very big deal out of it and give each other sweets and bracelets. This whole area is hanging balloons and strings of flowers everywhere. The balloons are white, green and orange. That’s the colors of the India flag. They string orange carnations and other flowers and hand them from everywhere! They even put them on their cars, in trees, just about everywhere they can hang them. The finer dresses are coming out and the music and activities are gearing up. We will watch from the safety of our room because I have never seen so many people. It’s like a sea of humans and I am the only blond haired woman I have seen. I am getting used to the blunt stares and the turning heads. I just act like I belong here. We were mauled by our first gypsy children yesterday. That was horrible to have to dismiss them but if you give one some money you better watch out. 5 becomes 10 really quickly and nobody seems to be in charge of these kids. They are like wild animals. You really have to just keep walking and Debra tried telling one of them ‘no, don’t pat on her” but when she gave him her attention that was a mistake. He had no idea what she was saying just that she had noticed him. It made him very excited and he started jumping. I told her not to make eye contact and to keep walking it took them a good while to give up but they did as we approached the boarder and they saw the police and security officers. For some reason we couldn’t get a rickshaw to stop for us so we ended up walking to the Tip Top from the boarder it’s not far maybe 5 blocks but you have to watch out walking here. It’s muddy. The road is lined with hungry dogs they don’t bother you or bark but it make you sad to see them. You can be fined for feeding them. I didn’t know that until I read it in the news paper.
The storms I am sure will put a damper on the festival but then again maybe not. The hotel is really geared up for it. From my window there is a huge bank of dark clouds rolling in over the mountain tops. It doesn’t seem to thunder or lightening here just heavy down pours. It would be cool to see a thunder storm through these huge glass windows on this floor. Safe inside it would make watching it pretty cool. I love a good storm. It reminds me kind of that God can throw a pretty good fit when he needs, too. It’s amazing to watch lightening. Maybe I will get lucky tonight and see some monster flashes. There are these huge birds that soar down through the buildings. It’s breathtaking to watch those huge wing spans. I have no idea what type of birds they are but we were thinking ‘condors’.
We will be staying in the room unless we get a call from the dentist requesting us to come in for fittings. So we are going to relax watch some movies on “Stars” the only English channel there is and just spend some time reflecting on our time here. It’s time to pull out the bible and work with the Lord a little. I miss not being able to go to church. Debra and I can get on each others nerves if we let that happen. I find study keeps the mother/daughter flare ups from being a problem. We find common ground to talk about there and I enjoy her interest. It also heals her and helps her to know that I am interested in her thoughts. You know when you have had tension with someone for a long time you need something to intercede for you while you are trying to make changes in your attitudes. We both are trying to like each other and sometimes it’s not easy. There is a difference between love and like.
Rollie I hope you have a good evening and know that I think of you everyday. It’s always good to hear your voice on Skype that little program is a great relief as we can keep in good contact. You need that connection while your away from home. I burn my “Tyler” mulled cider candle each night it’s about gone but it also helps me to remember we are just about done here. It’s a sweet smell and a reminder of home.
Take care. I am going to bed now. Love you guys…….I was finding it funny Brad and Jenny will be coming home before we do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The restaurant sounds super!! Last days are definitely here. Enjoy what time you have left. Prayers have been answered and will continue to be lifted up in your name. Debra, what a beautiful smile--it was always beautiful:-) but now brighter. Take care and be safe. See you all soon. Blessing be yours, love, kim

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for your return home to see all the changes! I've been attending new teacher orientation, so I haven't had very much energy lately, but I have always found time to read the blog each time. :) Thank goodness for the internet! How did we ever communication before it. Lovely smile, Debra! -Robin