Monday, August 4, 2008

She is in surgery........Please keep those prayers coming.

Any story line could be broken up, shuffled like a pack of cards and dealt out in any order and the story would remain the same……….we did what we felt we had to do and we did it with God.

They are true to their word. At 1 o’clock on the dot they were here to pick Debra up and get things rolling. We had a lot of phone calls this morning and lots of prayers were said before she went down to the second floor to the operations theater. I got to go in with her while they were doing the set up. I had to take off my shoes before going into the operation holding area. Won’t see that in the states. I sat on a tiny metal stool at her bedside and felt like I did when she was two. Overly protective and overly concerned. I had prayed this morning harder than I have in long time with total conviction. It was funny when I went in they changed the place they usually have people sit so I could sit right beside Debra and in a very crowded room. In doing this all I could really see was her and the nurses. Everything else was to my back. Everyone we talked with it was clear to understand and there was no confusion about what or why they were doing things. All the doctors talked to me before hand and a young nurse said to me “Don’t worry God is with her” remembering where we are at that really caught me off guard a little. One of the doctors told Debra she should have some meditation and Debra told her where we come from we call that prayer and it’s being done. Made me proud of her in that moment. This is the doctor I have kind of locked horns with a little. The doctors all spoke to me before the surgery and were kind and reassuring. They sent me back to our room on the International floor (7th) because of all the confusion in the waiting area and because I am a big distraction. It’s all good it’s calm here there is a computer to help kill the time, there is a bible to read, it’s cool and air conditioned. Yes, this is where I needed to wait. They can find me easily here as well and I have a phone if they need to call me. Yes, that’s going to be all right. I didn’t think I would see her again for 24 hours, as she has to be in the ICU because of doing two surgeries at once they have to watch her closely. Nevertheless I will get to talk to her for just a few minutes after she is awake. They said I could go down and be with her. It’s the proper thing to do and I appreciate the opportunity to be with her even if just for a few minutes. 24 hours is a long time when you’re wondering about a loved one.

When I got back to the room there was a nice chicken sandwich waiting for me and some French fries. A couple of bottle of water had been put in the little icebox that is in our room. These people are really caring and try to make every effort. It is not like the states at all none of the fluff but they try really hard to make sure your comfortable. A few things that are different is that they don’t wear gloves for every thing. They use big needles not those little butterfly needles like we have. They are metal needles as well haven’t seen one like that since I was a child. They have metal bedpans. The have metal blood draw boxes with lids on them. The IV poles do not have monitors that beep all night and keep you awake. Nor do they have rollers so you can walk around with them. You have to be disconnected if you go to the bathroom or walk in the halls. That means you have more freedom of motion and don’t have to worry about running over your tubing. I have a picture of the IV bag I will post it later you will get a laugh out of that. In fact it’s been so odd I have a picture of almost everything.

These post are so long I ramble I hope you guys will forgive me. The dentist just called on the phone and asked if I would like to be drilled on today. I told him I think I will pass today could we do it another day. He says okay sure fine. I just love that. They tip their heads from shoulder to shoulder in agreement instead of up and down like we Americans do. It strikes me funny every time I see it done.

Well another treat has arrived some tea and biscuits. Don’t even want to know what they make this “tea” out of but it’s unusual. Yes, that’s the word for it. Nice that they send it anyway it makes you feel like they are paying attention to you.

Debra has been gone now roughly two hours. My back and shoulders feel like they have a ball of flame between them. There is not enough Advil in the free world to make my head stop aching. It’s going to be a long night. They sent the cleaning people in to change the room and if the person is not here they have a security person come along with them. He just stands and watches doesn’t matter that I am here Debra is not so he is here to watch the person who cleans. One of them asked are you from Texas……well yes I am. He says he remembered a lady from Texas being here last year. They were the nicest people he thinks around October/November sometime maybe. Wonder who that could have been?

Well I have some people coming in so I will go for now. No news on Debra just some guest so more later……….keep those prayers coming.

2 comments:

Health at Home said...

Hey girl!

I've been wanting to stop by your blog ever since you and Debra left. I'm so glad I finally got here and read your beautiful and moving words. You're a blessing me--even halfway across the world. Miss you much, love you more! Kristen F. (lifting you up on the Gulf Coast)

Darla said...

It was good to talk with you today. I'm so glad the worst of the surgeries are over. I thank God for the good outcome.
I enjoy reading your blog can't wait for the pics and videos...

We are waiting for the storm to hit here. It should not be all that bad. David is in Abilene helping Jared pack and move back to Baytown so I brought his dog,Frazier over for the night. I didn't want him to be alone during the storm. All should be back to normal by mid day Tuesday.

Send Debra my love...We are counting the days till you both are home. Darla