Monday, August 11, 2008

SOME OF INDIA HIGHLIGHTS AND DENTAL UPDATE

This photo is The Gateway of India


Chhatrapati-Shivaji Tempel ( this is also the name of the air port here in Mumbai)

Rare photo of the inside of Ajanta-Ellora Caves


Haji-Ali-Dargahs


Night time photo of the richshaws and roadway


We slept a little later this morning and as a result missed our morning Skype calls. Debra was supposed to have gotten to talk with Denise so she was a little upset with having over slept and not getting that call. Having been prepared for the new bridge/dental yesterday and them leaving it off and open until the swelling went down really makes the pain killers attractive. You will sleep they believe in pain relief in this country. But your can’t get Imodium without a prescription. At least on my mash potato and tea diet it was all good. Didn’t really have to worry about eating or what to eat it was all planned out for me. Debra continues to find ways to make her protein shakes and small bites here and there work for her diet needs. She is comfortable with it and not seeming to mind the huge reduction in food.
We went down for breakfast so they could clean the room but we didn’t have coffee and that seemed to make a big difference in the way we were feeling. We spent a good part of the day posting pictures and playing on the Internet. At 3:30 Bharat was coming to take us back for round two at the dentist office. They are making several different sets of impressions. They will not do them right after you have preparation work done because of the swelling. They want your fit to be more than satisfactory. If it takes several days it just has to take several days. Debra’s casting for her crowns will take multiple sets of impressions and at least 3 days to complete. They make sure your fit will be more than satisfactory. They say that this work should last 20 plus years. Oh and they want you to always say you got your work done at Wockhardt in India when you go home. Shouldn’t have to see a dentist for a long time which will make me and Debra very happy.
Heavy Heavy rains blanket this area today it’s like being in a shower 24 hours a day. It never stops raining. You can have wind gust between 21 to 45 miles per hour and it’s normal. It’s that like a tropical storm for us, isn‘t it? They don’t worry unless they get up over 60 miles per hour then they warn you to take care out there on the streets. Flooding can and does happen so watch out. You see those ladies walking around in the fancy long dresses dripping wet with all the scarves draped around them. Umbrella turned inside out and people everywhere outside in the rain. It slows nothing down and makes traffic very crazy. We almost had a wreck coming back from the dentist but when I screamed Bharat and the driver just kind of laughed at me. They don’t have wrecks really and it is amazing that they don’t you just can’t believe how they drive. Lanes mean nothing and which ever side of the road way is clear is the side you can drive on. I think they have no traffic laws it’s just every man for himself. No females drive here. Bharat doesn’t own a car. All his trips are from hired drivers. I did remind him today of our luggage problems and he assures me that a van will take us to the airport and not a smart car. He helped me get some more money from the ATM today and it is funny to know you can get rupees from your American bank card. Works just like it works at home.
Debra got us some of those sticky things to go on our foreheads so we could fit in with the crowd a little better. Yeah right!! We got some for common use with no meaning except for decoration. They are pretty but man I couldn’t help but keep trying to brush it off. It bugged me being between my eyes. You can wear them anywhere on the body but the face is most common. They can really get it going here. Down the arms on the hands across the back it doesn’t seem to matter as long as it’s glitzy. Being at the hotel we see a lot of wedding parties, birthing celebrations, company events so lots of people to chat with about what they are wearing and why. The wedding parties are beautiful, gold laden events. I got a small taste of what Jordan V. must have got to see. It’s way over the top here and these are nothing compared to the wedding he attended. For such poverty it’s really unbelievable what they do in the honor of celebrations. People live in the streets under tarps, trash is every where. Milk cows line the common roadways to sell cups of milk, you can buy eggs one at a time or just one banana or one ear of corn. Have a party of any kind and its no holds barred spend thousands it is just fine. I thinks it’s either you are very rich or dead broke poor. There is no middle ground. Debra was finding out what an English teacher makes and she could make a very good living teaching in India.
Well that’s another day wrapped up for us. I am watching “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” on Stars. It’s one of the only channels in English here they usually have really off taste movies or really bad movies but tonight this was on so I thought I would watch it.
You guys take care and I will post more pictures if the rain lets up I will take some on the way to the eye hospital. It’s a 25 minute drive so if it’s not pouring I should get some shots of a different area of the city. Wish me luck I love those pictures. They have become my souvenirs over the years instead of ivory elephants, Mexican sombreros, or Italian glass. Much easier to keep up with and you don’t have to dust them.
I was so glad that some of you have had prayers answered quickly. It’s a blessing. I want you to know I do so appreciate your keeping me informed of all the happenings at home. It is so good to be able to do that. Being this far from everything that is common to you even the smallest things from home are a total blessing. We continue to read our bibles here and listen to my CD’s of the NIV. You just can never know how much that means to you until you can’t have it easily at your disposal. I will never take my walk with my Lord for grant because seeing all that I have seen here I know that this world is not my home and its not much of a home to many. Our blessings are only in Christ Jesus and until he comes or takes me home I will be grateful all of my life for each and every hour I have under His control and guidance. Come whatever may I know that in this life it was worth whatever we had to go through to be able to say the Lord is my Shepard I shall not want.

No comments: