Sunday, August 3, 2008

It's just about time to move on things..........

Well the games have started. Debra got her first part of the medical procedures started at 4 p.m. What they gave her to drink would have killed a fully-grown male gorilla. I truly felt sorry for her. Some of the things they drink for a regular drink would knock you over. I have no idea what they are thinking with coconut water??? What is that exactly! It needs to be lab tested. Anyway after a day of pretty unpleasantness she is again asleep and waiting. They made sure she didn’t have too much aware time on her hands. Things will move quickly in the morning so that all is prepared by one o’clock. It’s good to do it on a Monday it’s is the slowest day for them. Sunday’s are a mad house. I sat out front with my dogs this morning and this afternoon you could barely make it through the people.

Kim’s cross made another big hit today and I almost had to turn Catholic over it. One of the doctors noticed it and offered to take me down to the local church and I am not really sure what we were going to do there but it sounded pretty scary. I thanked him very very much but I could not go. He was disappointed but nice enough not to push for more than 20 minutes. I had a bible I had a cross I must be Catholic I must do something with the saints. He left me with hugs and a dot on my forehead (just joking). I explained my points of view. I am not sure I am getting out of here with my bible everybody that sees it loves it. It’s large print for the visually impaired but they just think it’s cool. A lot of them are interested but they don’t have bibles down at the Wal-Mart for you to just go pick one up. It’s a little more work than that to get your hands on one but they can order them from Amazon.com I had to laugh look what the Internet has done!

When all the fussing started with the preparations for surgery I got Bharat to come pick me up about 3ish. We took a rickshaw over to the mall. Did some power shopping. We took other people with us a Ms. Lewis from Nigeria and another couple which I could not really understand where they were from or remember their names but I think as best we could understand them they were from South Africa. He had been totally burned all over his face and was here for reconstructive surgery. He’s ears were gone but he was joking and having a good time with us. He was very excited that he was at Wockhardt. It’s been a long time in coming for him to have this done. He was in an explosion. Ms. Lewis has a husband with special surgery attempts being made on his back. They also have great hope in what they will find here medically. She spoke French but could understand pretty well and speak some English. She knew enough to tell the shop keeper when he tried to sell her some pearls to get real his prices where way to high. Come on man are you crazy? It made for a good laugh.

Got a lot of pictures while zipping around in the rickshaw. Did a little video but Bharat was worried about that picture taking you could tell it made him uncomfortable. In the mall you can not take photos because of social sensitivities. When you go in you pass threw a metal detector and get wand swept. Lots and lots of security measures are taken there. Huge amounts of people are everywhere. I did get out of eating out and opted for some coffee walnut ice cream. Now that’s what I am talking about for 28 rupee you can be in heaven. I just love it when a man says okay sure fine and nobody can get insulted at an ice cream shop. I really liked shopping with Bharat he carried my bags, did all my negotiations, helped pay the bill, and flagged my rickshaw down for me. Being a medical tourist is pretty cool if your not the one getting cut on. The only bad thing was that the people we were with wondered away from us and after a bit of time he was just a little worried. He’s never lost anybody before? He had 3 women and a man in mass hysteria there was no way we were all staying together but I was on top of his every move like a wet paper towel. Bharat Devkule wasn’t about to loose me at a mall in India. After about an hour and several phone call on the cell we found them. Hopped a rickshaw back to the hospital and came up to check on miss Debra she was turning green for real from drinking all this stuff to clean her system out. The corners of her mouth drooped. It almost made her tear up when I told her what would happen if she couldn’t drink the stuff. She drank it. Anyway as the evening went on it got really pretty bad for her. Her senses were rocking and they doubled her medications also in preperation for the stress of the day. It’s almost mid-night here but I will stay awake all night to watch over her and get some cat naps in just before dawn. They start IV’s at 6 a.m. and go from there. It’s only the two surgeries on Monday. Eye surgery and dental are still due to come. She is really taking a beating but she says it’s worth it and she is happy that help is on the way.

Have been praying for Brad Wims for most of the day. Every time it crosses my mind I say a little something for him and prayers for Debra are unending. Reading a lot of scripture, pacing myself for the operation suite drill. No talking and no laughter. I am going to take my bible down with me and read while she is under the knife. This place is good but it has no frills at all. Even a metal bed pan was brought in just incase.

Well I better go nurses want to talk to me more later………………..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vickie, It was great to talk to you last night! Glad you got out and about today. It is 2 in the morning your time, but you may be up and at the computer anyway.:-) God's blessings on the 'day'. He has had so many prayers on Debra's behalf he is probably saying enough already---but we know he always listens.
At the airport heading out. 4 cities for 5 days but will keep you all in mind, thought, and prayers always.

In His love,
kim